Today, we’ll be making alcohol ink. Alcohol ink art has been trending and I’ve been looking at buying alcohol ink but I decided to make some of my own.
You will need:
- Rubbing alcohol
- old markers that don’t work anymore
- utility knife
- paper towels
- something to line your workspace with
- Plastic tubes, jars, something to store your ink
- gloves (optional)
1) Take apart the markers to get the cartridge out. I’m using some old calligraphy markers. Don’t be hesitant to use some force!
2) Make two small slices in the catridges. Don’t slice all the way through. It makes it harder the fish them out later.
3) Grab your two plastic containers and put the cartridges into them and fill the containers about 80% full. Leave some space on the top.
4) Leave the ink to “marinate” and set for at least a few hours or until the color has stopped changing.
5) With gloves on, use the chopsticks to fish out the cartridges and squeeze all the alcohol out of them. Give your inks a swirl. That’s it!
6) Make some art! I made the ATC’s below by placing drops of ink and using a heat gun to move them around and dry them.
TIP! Don’t use normal paper. Alchol ink will bleed right trhough. Use GLOSSY paper, like photo paper OR you can cover paper with some Elmer’s or Mod Podge which works well enough.
Let’s chat below! Will you try this tutorial? Have you ever tried alcohol inks?